State-of-the-Art Combustion Technology
The DynaGrate® combustion grate is the state-of-the-art technology in the Vølund™ product line of high-quality products.
It is one of the world's most advanced combustion grates for waste-to-energy applications.
The DynaGrate provides excellent performance with low maintenance costs due to a design technology that causes little wear. With the DynaGrate technology we can meet tomorrow's demands for waste-fired plants, which require a high level of accessibility, fuel flexibility, and energy recovery, under environmentally sound conditions.
Our DynaGrate is renowned for its unique:
- movement: strong agitation of the fuel bed results in an excellent burn out of the waste fuel.
- design: there is no contact between the moving parts. This design allows minimum impact of mechanical forces and minimizes the need for spare parts.
- cooling system: a fully integrated water cooling system ensures stable operation and high availability of the combustion system.
Unique design provides optimal agitation of the fuel bed
The grate resembles a staircase. The individual steps -- the grate bars -- are alternately placed horizontally and vertically. These grate bars are mounted on shafts. As the grate bars of one shaft interfere with the bars of the adjoining shaft, a continuous grate carpet is formed. When the shaft turns 60 degrees in opposite directions, the steps change from vertical to horizontal and from horizontal to vertical. This produces a wave-like longitudinal movement, which in turn produces optimal turnover of the fuel bed.
Capacity of up to 55 metric tons with our modular DynaGrate®
We have developed a twelve-meter-wide grate module, which allows us to supply grates with a capacity of up to 55 metric tons of waste per hour. It’s designed for a wide array of waste types, with extreme variations in calorific values.
Ideal for the combustion of all types of waste, even cans and metals
A unique feature is that it can process waste containing large amounts of metals and still operate efficiently, a significant financial benefit. The DynaGrate features a very high combustion efficiency obtained with greater energy recovery for the production of electricity and heat while limiting environmental pollution.
- Combustion of all types of untreated waste
- Biomass co-firing capability
- Optimal fuel bed agitation provides uniform and efficient combustion with ahigh burnout rate
- Unique combustion control and fast stoker response
- No contact between the grate bars and side liners:
- Limited wear
- Reduces the mechanical forces to which the grate is exposed during operation
- No problem with fusion of metals – as seen on traditional forward/backward motion grates
- 4 to 55 t/h capacity
Each of the six DynaGrate’s at Shenzhen East process up to 39 tonnes per hour, achieving an R1 of 0.8. These grates currently operate as air-cooled but are designed with a built-in water-cooled upgrade capability that can be activated in the future when Shenzhen’s waste calorific value increases.
Installation of DynaGrate at CopenHill waste-fired power plant in Denmark. Two DynaGrate lines operate at CopenHill, each combusting waste at 35 tonnes per hour. This ultra-efficient low emissions plant achieves a TOC of 0.2%.
Individual combustion sections mean better control
The DynaGrate comes in either 1 or 2 combustion lanes, depending on the capacity of the plant. There are four separate combustion sections in each lane, making it possible to individually control the speed and excess air in each section. This means individual control of a total of four or eight individual grate sections.
Water-Cooled DynaGrate Combustion Grate
Superior Grate Durability for High Calorific Waste
Our patented, water-cooled DynaGrate provides superior grate durability for combusting high calorific waste, which can cause high thermal stresses in the grate. The cooling for the combustion grate is independent of primary air.
Mechanically, the air-cooled and water-cooled versions are comparable. The movement pattern works similarly, and they have the same process advantages. The grate bar is machined as a hollow section with channels designed to convey cooling water to the areas with the highest heat load.
Additional features and benefits of the water-cooled DynaGrate include:
- Large variation in fuel compositions and heating values
- Suitable for high calorific waste up to 20 MJ/kg
- Operation at low excess air means:
- Cooling for the combustion grate is independent of primary air
- High thermal efficiency
- Low NOx formation
- Minimal grate siftings and less metal in air hoppers
- Combination of water-cooled and air-cooled grates
- Long lifetime, less wear on parts, and lower maintenance costs