A better way
In 1867, Stephen Wilcox said, “there must be a better way” to safely and efficiently generate power. For over 150 years, Babcock & Wilcox has been researching, inventing and improving better, cleaner ways to do so with a focus on environmental stewardship.
We didn’t just jump on the clean energy train; we're the engine driving it forward.
Stephen Wilcox | 1867
Capturing the science behind carbon capture
The world wants action. More than 100 countries have committed to a carbon net-zero goal by the middle of this century. Nearly half of those 50 years have passed, so we cannot rest.
Every day, our goal is clear: reduce carbon, then reduce even more carbon. With over 90 active patents for carbon capture, B&W has been a leader in the research and development of decarbonization technologies for more than four decades.
The Clean Facts:
Proven decarbonization – today
Babcock & Wilcox technologies can capture carbon post-combustion, pre-combustion — and even in-situ — from conceptual research to commercial installation globally.
Our ClimateBright™ technologies work with a vast array of feedstock such as natural gas, biomass, petroleum coke, coal, municipal solid waste and syngas for both new and retrofit applications.
Transforming Energy in a Cleaner Way
Providing an extensive range of proven, clean power production technologies
Navigating the energy transition to carbon neutrality can be a challenge. Babcock & Wilcox has been creating energy solutions for years, and it's in our nature to find solutions for lowering emissions from upgrades and parts to new builds. Learn more about the energy transition and how we can help.
Introducing BrightLoop™ —
The next generation of chemical looping
Chemical Looping has always been a good idea — but we've advanced the technology for decarbonization applications.
Babcock & Wilcox has partnered with some of the brightest minds in academia to demonstrate that Chemical Looping is ready for commercial scale-up. Our collaboration has shown that Chemical Looping can effectively separate CO2 while producing hydrogen, steam and/or syngas. Our Chemical Looping system is a game-changing evolution capable of ushering in a new era of decarbonization.
- In-situ carbon capture system
- Breakthrough technology under research with our university partner for 20 years
- Scalable to be adapted economically to large and small installations
- Flexibility for feedstock (natural gas, biomass, petroleum coke, coal, municipal solid waste for waste-to-energy [WTE] and syngas)
- Successfully demonstrated production of hydrogen from syngas with our university partner at the National Carbon Capture Center Gasifier in the U.S.
- An exceptionally versatile oxide in terms of application, cost and abundance
- This platform technology is suitable to support a broad range of applications
A particle breakthrough made it happen
This disrupter, breakthrough BrightLoop™ technology allowed B&W to make Chemical Looping possible for practical implementation.
The unique particle used in our design was developed by our university partner and is an extremely versatile oxide in terms of application, cost and abundance
- Its physical characteristics allow it to react to a variety of feedstocks
- It can readily regenerate itself to have extended “shelf life” in operation in a more environmentally friendly and economical way, unlike other Chemical Looping systems that may use copper, nickel cobalt or others
- Exhibits sustainability by allowing reprocessing or reuse of any fine particles lost from the system
- This makes it applicable to many forms of power generation and industrial processes
- The elements are easy to access and economical
Capturing carbon every day
using a range of leading technologies
SolveBright™ regenerable solvent absorption technology uses an advanced solvent to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from power plants
- Post-combustion system to extract CO2
- Technology under research for 20 years in conjunction with university researchers
- Developed by B&W Research in conjunction with key university researchers
- The solvent was selected by U.S. Department of Energy to be the first used at the National Carbon Capture Center Scrubbing System
Our OxyBright™ oxy-combustion technology has been demonstrated at a large scale and is commercially ready
- The technology produces a concentrated CO2 stream suitable for sequestration and other uses, such as enhanced oil recovery
- Set the standard as the largest Oxy-Combustion ever demonstrated (Babcock & Wilcox’s 30 MWt plant)
- Selected as the Oxy-Combustion system for the Future Gen 2.0 167 MWe commercial demonstration plant
B&W's BrightGen™ hydrogen combustion is also both commercially ready and currently in operation
- A combustion technology that produces no CO2
- Successfully retrofitted equipment to fire hydrogen safely
For a net zero world
It’s an ambitious crusade, but we want to do our part.
B&W is a leader, an innovator and an advocate for decarbonization in taking steps toward achieving the goal of reducing greenhouse gases.
- Leader — Proven pre- and post-combustion carbon capture technologies for more than four decades
- Innovator — A history of research and innovation, with more than 17,000 technology patents, including the only Chemical Looping decarbonization technology ready for commercial demonstration
- Advocate — It's only natural that Babcock & Wilcox commits resources for the pursuit of decarbonization technologies to make cleaner energy production standard. B&W Research can be a resource for knowledge and insight about this subject
We collaborate with universities to create best-in-class solutions; we partner with industry leaders and energy producers to develop programs that push the limits; and we have technologies that help improve energy production in over 90 countries.
From electric power generation to emissions, waste treatment and environmental engineering — for industries ranging from steel, cement, oil and gas to carbon black, food manufacturing, pulp and paper — we are ready for a clear path to a cleaner future.
For more information, download the brochure.
Babcock & Wilcox.
We’re here to: CO2llaborate, CO2operate, CO2mmunicate and CO2nserve.