Vølund Combustion Grates
Combustion grates provide waste flow that ensures drying, ignition, combustion, energy release and complete burn-out before the bottom ash outlet.
In a waste-to-energy plant, the grate is where waste is converted into energy – the heart of the system. As such, grates are a significant focus area for us. Over the past 80 years we have supplied more than 500 combustion grates worldwide. Many of our older grates are still in operation, running efficiently and living up to current environmental standards.
B&W offers two combustion grates: the DynaGrate® and the Vølund combustion grates. The DynaGrate and the Vølund grates were developed to provide reliable transport of waste through the furnace.
Vølund combustion grates
The Vølund™ grate from B&W is one of the most dependable waste-to-energy grates available. It is designed for highly efficient continuous combustion of household waste, including lower calorific waste.
The air-cooled Vølund grate’s simplicity and robustness make it ideal for a wide calorific waste range of between 5 to 14 MJ/kg. With auxiliary burner support, the grate can handle wet waste, common during rainy seasons, below 5 MJ/kg. We have developed the Vølund grates to withstand very high temperatures and a long operational life.
Features and benefits include:
- Low maintenance cost with improved grate plates
- Minimum emission of harmful substances and maximum energy recovery
- High availability and operational reliability
- Exceptional air distribution and minimal power consumption
- Solid, reliable design
- High reliability with minimal downtime
- Simple and robust grate design suitable for waste with low calorific value