In the 2,500 square foot weld lab, B&W's researchers develop welding procedures for new and existing materials.
The lab utilizes the following equipment:
- Gas-metal arc welding (GMAW) Lincoln Electric® PowerWave® 455 M/STT
- Gas-tungsten arc welding (GTAW) Arc Machines Inc. Model 415
- Orbital GTAW Astro Arc Polysoude, Inc.
- Submerged arc welding (SAW) Lincoln Electric® PowerWave® AC/DC 1000
- Shielded metal arc welding (SMAW)
- Plasma cladding process Stellite® Starweld™ 400A PTA System
The Weld Lab has successfully developed several procedure qualification records for welding new materials, creating dissimilar metal welds and depositing defect-free claddings. B&W's materials and manufacturing activities have benefited greatly from collaborative work with leading suppliers of welding equipment, domestic and international welding institutes, makers of high-performance alloys, utility companies and universities. Current activities include:
- Weld procedure development and preparation of procedure qualification record (PQR)
- Application of welding methods to new alloys considered for use in ultra-supercritical boilers
- Better understanding of post weld heat treatment for widely used tube materials
- Evaluation of new filler materials
For more information, please contact us.
GMAW of a tube to a membrane wall.
GTAW setup for narrow groove welding.
GTAW of a tube-to-tube.