Babcock & Wilcox Technical Services Clinch River, LLC (B&W CR), under contract with USEC Inc., manufactures high-tolerance, precision components. B&W CR represents a critical element of the U.S. nuclear program, providing the commercial power industry with materials needed to produce safe and affordable energy while reducing the nation's dependence on non-renewable fossil fuel sources.
Develop and apply science and technology to:
- Accelerated facilitization of an automated manufacturing facility in Oak Ridge, Tenn., to support high-volume, commercial manufacturing operations.
- Completion of equipment installation, start-up, prototype development, and component qualification activities as required to transition to high-rate production of precision components in a classified environment.
- Under B&W TSG's leadership, improvement actions valued at approximately $1.3 million were identified during the initial 60 days of contract performance.
- Assumed responsibility for and successfully completed all required facility/infrastructure upgrades and modifications, and the acquisition of all required machine tools and equipment on schedule and within budget.
- Completed all required security upgrades and received approval to commence classified manufacturing activities.
- Partnering with USEC and other ACP Strategic Suppliers to objectively analyze all project requirements, dramatically reducing direct costs while ensuring the manufacture of high-quality and reliable components.
- Completed all required process development, and process qualification activities as needed to initiate low-rate component production and assembly.
- Commenced manufacturing operations, initiated product shipments in November 2008, and completed initial LC3 product shipments as required to support customer requirements.
- The period of performance for B&W TSG's contract with USEC began on August 1, 2007 and will continue through December 31, 2012.
- B&W TSG manufactures high-precision, classified components in a 450,000 square-foot high-bay manufacturing facility, utilizing automated and state-of-the-art manufacturing cells.
- Completed assemblies are shipped to Piketon, Ohio, for incorporation into USEC's facility.
- B&W TSG's workforce currently consists of approximately 120 salaried and hourly employees.
B&W TSG is a vital component of the Oak Ridge economy and participates in a variety of local, regional and state economic and community organizations. B&W was recognized by the United Way of Anderson County, Tenn., for being the largest first-time business contributor.